This fact sheet provides basic information about green tea—common names, uses, potential side effects, and resources for more information. All types of tea (green, black, and oolong) are produced from the Camellia sinensis plant using different methods. Fresh leaves from the Camellia sinensis plant are steamed to produce green tea.
Common Names—green tea, Chinese tea, Japanese tea
Latin Names—Camellia sinensis
What It Is Used For
- Green tea and green tea extracts, such as its component EGCG, have been used to prevent and treat a variety of cancers, including breast, stomach, and skin cancers.
- Green tea and green tea extracts have also been used for improving mental alertness, aiding in weight loss, lowering cholesterol levels, and protecting skin from sun damage.
How It Is Used
Green tea is usually brewed and drunk as a beverage. Green tea extracts can be taken in capsules and are sometimes used in skin products.
What the Science Says
- Laboratory studies suggest that green tea may help protect against or slow the growth of certain cancers, but studies in people have shown mixed results.
- Some evidence suggests that the use of green tea preparations improves mental alertness, most likely because of its caffeine content. There are not enough reliable data to determine whether green tea can aid in weight loss, lower blood cholesterol levels, or protect the skin from sun damage.
- NCCAM is supporting studies to learn more about the components in green tea and their effects on conditions such as cancer, diabetes, and heart disease.
Side Effects and Cautions
- Green tea is safe for most adults when used in moderate amounts.
- There have been some case reports of liver problems in people taking concentrated green tea extracts. This problem does not seem to be connected with green tea infusions or beverages. Although these cases are very rare and the evidence is not definitive, experts suggest that concentrated green tea extracts be taken with food, and that people should discontinue use and consult a heath care practitioner if they have a liver disorder or develop symptoms of liver trouble, such as abdominal pain, dark urine, or jaundice.
- Green tea and green tea extracts contain caffeine. Caffeine can cause insomnia, anxiety, irritability, upset stomach, nausea, diarrhea, or frequent urination in some people.
- Green tea contains small amounts of vitamin K, which can make anticoagulant drugs, such as warfarin, less effective.
- Tell your health care providers about any complementary and alternative practices you use. Give them a full picture of what you do to manage your health. This will help ensure coordinated and safe care.
Green Tea, Green Tea types, Green Tea aliases, Green Tea source, Green Tea plants, Green Tea plant morphology, Green Tea acquisition, Green Tea traits, Green Tea chemical composition, Green Tea taste, Green Tea function, Green Tea functional indications, Green Tea of the details, Green Tea information, Green Tea photos, Green Tea pictures, Green Tea videos, Green Tea photo studio, about green tea,art tea,benefits of green tea,best green tea,blooming tea,,looming teas,blossoming tea,blossoms tea,,bottled green tea,brown rice tea,buy green tea,buy tea,,uy tea online,ceylon green tea,chinese diet tea,,chinese green tea,chinese herbal tea,chinese tea sets,chinese teas,chocolate green tea,chocolate tea,coffee,concentrated green tea,decaf tea,decaffeinated green tea,diet tea,diet teas,dieter’s tea,dieters green tea,dieters tea,display tea,dragon well green tea,dragon well tea,dragonwell tea,egcg green tea,elizabeth arden green tea,elizabeth arden green tea perfume,fair trade tea,fine tea,flavored tea,genmaicha tea,good earth green tea,good earth tea,gourmet tea,gourmet teas,green rooibos tea,green tea,green tea and health,green tea and pregnancy,green tea bags,green tea brands,green tea capsules,green tea concentrate,green tea cream,green tea diet,green tea diets,green tea extract,green tea extracts,green tea fat metabolizer,green tea gift set,green tea gifts,green tea gum,green tea health,g,een tea health benefits,green tea ice cream recipe,green tea leaves,green tea oil,green tea perfume,green tea pill,green tea pills,green tea plants,green tea plus,green tea products,green tea recipes,green tea review,green tea shampoo,green tea soap,green tea supplement,green tea tablets,green tea tropical,green tea vs coffee,green tea weight,green tea with hoodia,green teas,greentea yokuro green tea,gyokuro tea,health benefits of green tea,health oolong tea,herb tea,herb teas,herba green tea,herbagreen tea,herbal green tea,herbal supplements,herbal tea,herbal teas,hoodia green tea,ice green tea,instant green tea,japanese green tea,japanese tea,jasmine green tea,jasmine pearl tea,kukicha tea,liquid green tea,liquid green tea extract,long oprah tea wu,loose green tea,loose leaf green tea,loose leaf tea,loose leaf teas,loose tea,loose teas,lotion green tea,macha tea,matcha green tea,matcha green tea powder,matcha tea,mighty leaf tea,nilgiri tea,numi tea,okuma’s wu long tea,oolong tea,oolong tea diet,oprah diet ea,oprah green tea,oprah tea,organic green tea,organic loose tea,organic teas,pomegranate tea,powder green tea,powdered green tea,premium tea,private label tea,properties of green tea,pu erh tea,puerh tea,purchase green tea,pure green tea,quality tea,red tea,sampler tea,sencha green tea,silver needle tea,slimming chinese tea,slimming tea,special tea,,special teas,specialty tea,specialty teas,super green tea diet,tea accessories,tea balls,tea baskets,tea benefits,tea brick,tea chest,tea chests,tea club,tea cups,tea flowers,tea gift,tea gift basket,tea gift baskets,tea gift set,tea gift sets,tea gifts,tea infuser,tea infusers,tea kettle,tea mugs,tea of the month,tea of the month club,tea online,tea powder,tea set,tea sets,tea shop,tea strainer,tea tech,teas tea,the green tea diet,twinings tea,what is green tea,white tea,white teas,whole leaf tea,wholesale green tea,wholesale tea,wholesale teas,wu long,wu long slimming tea,wu long tea,wu long tea reviews,wulong tea,wuyi tea,yogi tea,yogi teas